From each according to their means

Next month Brian will pay his first Norwegian taxes.

I have been led to believe this should be an enjoyable experience.

However, surprised that he would be taxed at 45% (considerably more than my rate), he decided to seek enlightenment on the IRD-equivalent.no website.

There, on the first page, he found the tax system summed up as:

The Norwegian tax system is based on the principle that everybody should pay tax according to their means and receive services according to their needs…

Hm, sounds oddly familiar.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to From each according to their means

1. CeilingCat says:

Ummmm, so he’s paying 45% tax, and then 25% VAT on (non food) purchases?
    Or is the 45% just a temporary rate and they give him some back once his income for the year is finalised?

• Brian says:

Apparently, I’m more able and less needy than I had thought. I’m going to make enquiries. It would appear that 45% is not an uncommon rate, however.

• CeilingCat says:

So I’m still confused over this.
        All countries I know of run graduated tax schemes, so for example your first $10,000 is taxed at 10%, and your next $20,000 is taxed at 15%. Does Norway not do this, but instead just decide what rate to tax you? Surely this would be very hard to fairly implement…

• Brian says:

When in doubt, I find you just have to ask a knowledgeable russian. So, the 45% turns out to be the rate at which a bonus payment would be taxed, or income from a second employer. My main income is taxed according to table 7100, which you can find here: https://skort.skatteetaten.no/skd/trekk/trekk. If I were to tell you that my actual tax rate is about 36.5%, you could probably work out my income. Apparently, Norway has a very highly graduated tax scheme, hence the need for the tables. Also, the russian shop is down by the wharf. New caviar on Thursdays.

2. david says:

I posted before saying what an excellent principle this was, but my comment seems to have been lost?

3. I just came across this site and the last comment. I am not one of the one percent. I resent paying taxes whether it’s in Norway or UK. I should dearly love to know what services I will be receiving from the Norwegian government according to my needs.
    All tax is theft.

4. david says:

theft? for theft to be defined requires law, and that requires courts, government, and a civilized society which you are not prepared to pay for.