How To: Spend a weekend in Huntly
- Enrol in 2010 Huntly Half Marathon
- Book overnight accommodation at the Main St Tavern, The Essex Arms
- Drive resurrected Holden down to Huntly on Saturday morning
- On arrival, check out power station, river, and Main St
- Have dinner at Huntly’s only restaurant, the Old Court House Cafe, which not only has lovely food fit for a marathoner, but great ambiance in the rustically restored court house, and is rather good value for money
- Sleep, and awaken frequently to the sound of rumbling, coal-laden trains
- Run the 1/2 marathon, taking in Huntly’s scenery on route, specifically, the river, Lake Hakanoa, and the coal mine which runners are routed through. Finish triumphantly.
- Shower at the Essex Arms, head back north, and analyse race times. Although, clearly not athletes, I was still slightly disappointed to see that we fell into the boringly average band. Must try harder next time.