Our window catches have been covered with several layers of paint and rust. Most had siezed and probably not moved in many decades. Needless to say they looked a little worse for wear. However, with the help of an electric drill they were quickly restored to their original intricate beauty.
- Remove window if necessary, and use a screwdriver and hammer to chip away at the paint to get into the screw recess.
- Apply force and remove screws.
- Mount catch in vice or screw into a fixed piece of wood.
- Purchase the cheapest wire brushes for a drill from Mitre 10 (yes, in this case, cheapest is probably best, as they will be softer and made from brass).
- Apply wire brush to window catch.
The end result: